What You Need to Know About Domed Labels & Product Tags
What You Need to Know About Domed Labels & Product Tags
In today’s fast-paced business world, companies need to be able to exploit every advantage available to catch the attention of busy consumers. For that reason, branding is a vital aspect of any company’s promotional strategy, but in the real world, this is a consideration that many organizations fail to give sufficient attention.
Too many business owners do not fully appreciate the importance of reinforcing their brand, whenever and wherever possible. For example, a distinctive logo or design will remind the consumer exactly where a particular product or service originates. There are varieties of marketing tactics that contribute to achieving optimal branding saturation, among these is the use of domed labels applied to company products.
You have no doubt seen domed labels in various places, though you may not have known them by their name. However, these little devices are more useful than you might believe, offering a simple yet effective branding opportunity for businesses both small and large. Having said that, let’s take a closer look at domed labels and tags, and what they are and how they can benefit your growing business.
What Are Domed Labels?
Domed labels are tiny products that get their name from their dome-like transparent polyurethane coatings, through which a distinctive logo or design can be seen. These labels may be affixed to a wide range of surfaces, for example, luggage, laptops, heavy machinery, household appliances, motorcycles, and much more.
These types of labels can be found in a variety of shapes, including squares, rectangles, circles, ovals, and irregular custom configurations. Once applied, they usually become a more or less permanent feature on the product to which they are attached.
Components of Domed Labels
Domed labels are made from several distinct parts that are carefully assembled for long-term usage. The specific design elements may vary somewhat, but, in general, you can expect a dome label to feature each of the following:
- The dome – Usually made from tough polyurethane, this component gives the label its distinctive three-dimensional shape.
- The substrate – This is the material underneath the dome. The substrate bears the company design or logo, which is generally applied through a digital or silk screen printing process. (It’s worth pointing out, however, that the logo is sometimes etched directly onto the polyurethane dome by laser die cutting via SCN’s distinct technology.) The substrate can be made from any number of materials, including but not limited to polypropylene, polystyrene, polyester, polycarbonate, vinyl, and even metal.
- The adhesive – This allows the label to be permanently affixed on the selected surface. Since domed labels should ideally be attachable to a range of materials (glass, metal, plastics, powder coated paints and more), it’s important to use only high-quality adhesive intended for long-lasting application.
In addition, labels should be made in accordance with all applicable safety regulations.
Benefits of Domed Labels
So, what’s the big deal about domed labels? What can they do that more conventional labels cannot? Below are 4 main reasons to use domed labels.
1) Inexpensive Branding
How does a company become widely known? How does its distinctive designs reach the point where they become instantly recognizable to consumers across the land? There are several ways to achieve this, and most will cost a substantial amount of money.
For example, a nationwide advertising campaign generally comes with a price tag that many companies, particularly newer ones struggling to establish themselves, cannot afford. Yet by affixing small domed labels on its merchandise, the company will ensure that customers will see that unique logo every time they come into contact with the product.
As any marketing professional will tell you, repetition is one of the keys to becoming a recognizable brand name. These days, it’s also easy to add an Internet URL onto the label to invite consumers to visit your company’s official website.
2) Design Flexibility
As previously noted, domed labels aren’t a one-size-fits-all solution, instead, they are highly customizable. This makes it possible to accommodate many kinds of logos and other design elements without distortion. If you have a lengthy company name, for instance, you can opt for an oval label shape that enables you to print the words comfortably. This is a particularly useful feature for products with irregular surfaces that may give trouble to conventional labels. A good labeling company like SCN Inc. will also provide you with your choice of fonts and colors for your convenience, and even supply you with accurate prototypes so you know in advance exactly what you’ll be getting.
3) Attractive Appearance
Domed labels may be reasonably priced, but that doesn’t mean that they’re “cheap.” Their three-dimensional appearance is pleasing to the eye and they give the impression of quality. To a large extent, this is due to the durable construction of a well-designed domed label.
Domed labels are meant to last. For the most part, domed labels aren’t intended as temporary packaging, instead, they’re built for long use both indoors or outdoors.
Domed labels typically come with the following features:
- UV-resistance – Conventionally designed labels can become faded and unrecognizable if exposed to sunlight for long periods. That’s particularly problematic for products that have a lot of outdoor use, such as automobiles which often use these labels in their interiors. Luckily, domed labels are often designed to combat this problem and will not become faded or discolored from the sun.
- Scratch-resistance – Properly engineered domed labels will not become permanently marred by contact with materials that ordinarily create scratches.
- Chemical-resistance – Domed labels can also endure contact with a broad array of corrosive substances without peeling or deteriorating.
- Impact-resistance – Though they’re not indestructible, domed labels will not break or become permanently deformed from everyday use.
For the finest domed labels and product tags available today, you can depend on the professionals at SCN Printing Inc., a leader in the field since 1970. Contact us today for more information on our products and services.